PAGEVIEWS

Thursday, September 1, 2011

KRAKOW, AT LAST

The train to Krakow must have been the slowest thing on wheels. Even if it had kept up an even slightly respectable speed, at least an hour could have been knocked off the journey. Anyway, what does it matter, I have time. The scenery across Lower Silesia is not particularly hilly, only interrupted by vast fields and then forests, and a couple of coal pits. Seemed to sleep a lot.

But first, last night in Wroclav. One place I was advised to see is only about 15min walk from the Dizzy Daisy hostel. Firstly there is the zoo which was of course closed when I passed. But the park further on is where the The Centennial Hall can be found. It was one of the first buildings using reinforced concrete, and built in 1913. Hard to believe.
The Centennial Hall
This example of how concrete can be used artistically is a UNESCO site. Meanwhile, behind this building are the fountains which do a display to music every night. The rather grandly named, Pergola Multimedia Fountain, is a sight not to be missed. Not being a great fan of such things, I was pretty impressed and came away feeling it was a night well spent, and had a pizza to celebrate.
Pergola Multimedia Fountain
Just a couple more pictures from last evening. Walking to the park you have to cross an unusual stylish bridge.  This type of bridge no doubt has a name but what does it matter when its such a pleasing design.
and not a padlock in sight
framework in the sunset
So thats it really, except I am now in Krakow which looks like being just as interesting as it was in around 1997. I have one or two things on my list. Apart from the grand historic town, I'd like to see dear old Oscar's factory which I am told isn't far away. I am sure you don't know what I'm talking about, do you?

Just to finish off, here are 3 shots of my neighborhood. The first is the Atlantis hostel (excellent) and then the street and tramway passing. There is some character about this place. Going home on Monday now, instead of Saturday. Can't summon up the courage to look at the weather forecast so fingers crossed it remains sunny and warm.
Atlantis hostel

from smoker's balcony

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Dirk,
Here's the padlock story:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/aug/23/italy-bridges-locks-of-love