PAGEVIEWS

Friday, September 2, 2011

KRAKOW. DAY 2

Life began with a bowl of cornflakes. Not exciting, I know, but its all part of the daily drudgery of living. Anyway, after that revitalizing breakfast I headed off for the D.E.F factory where Oscar Schindler employed so many Jews, and saved their lives too. On the way there you pass through the old Jewish quarter of Krakow where there is of course a graveyard and the oldest synagogue in Poland.
A large tour group blocks the proceedings very successfully.
The oldest synagogue
If you read the Ireland blog about the Guinness brewery in Dublin, exactly the same thing happened at the D.E.F. enamel factory. My instinct told me that this was going to be a waste of time and money to go in, but I still went ahead and visited this lavish museum.
Unfortunately it looks like a brand new building now that can be found in  any  business  park.
This shot from the movie shows the sign, which is what I would have expected 
Inside the building it consisted of a warren of corridors on several floors crammed with photographs and a few relics, and the customary multimedia devices. I think a book would have done just as well. What I dont understand is why they haven't reconstructed a production hall, there was, after all, enough machinery  in the movie to do it. Totally unrealistic and a waste of money by me and the company that set it all up.

But I think I did spot the stairway that featured in the movie and truck load of steel pots, which were about the only real things I saw.

Suitably rusty!
To change the subject, I saw a couple of local  lads in my wanderings. The first one is no longer of this earth, but his soul lingers on, for some anyway.
A Krakow lad
He doesn't look very Polish. From Mauritius, with his Polish wife. A cheeky  cheerful  chappy by the name of Nick.
After some lunch and a power nap, I felt ready to head up to the old town centre. I'll be back there for certain but I thought a good taster would be the well known medieval market hall in the centre of the square.
Not a good place to actually buy anything
And then the buskers
Elvis all strung up and even Tina Turner is there on the right
Pogo man

No comments: