PAGEVIEWS

Thursday, September 8, 2011

CROSSING FRONTIERS

Been back in Plzen for a couple of days now and high time I finished off the blog.

Sunday, as all the other days, was hot and sunny. I seem to be collecting 'Lovelock' pictures where ever I go and Krakow was no exception. Local authorities in many cities must, to say the least, be getting just a bit fed up with this craze of attaching padlocks and throwing keys in rivers.
Here's a link to the story of this craze.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/aug/23/italy-bridges-locks-of-love
A waste of good ironmongery, as a friend commented.
The room at Hostel Atlantis. 5 euro a night.
So the 650km trip home went well, if not rather long. On the way out of Poland, into the CZ Rep, I passed through the town of Cieszyn. The bus from Krakow dropped me right beside the sad looking railway station of Cieszyn. A bus is really the only option for this part of the trip which I am sure this picture might help to explain.
Still used, but by very few trains. 
A walk that I have done several times in the distant past, takes me from the Polish part of town, to the Czech side where a much better rail service awaits. Yes, that's right, this town was involved in another of those diplomatic wrangles that led to it being split between two states after WW1. The Czech side is called Cesky Tesin but in the carve up I think the Poles got the better part. 
Cieszyn. Cesky Tesin - turn left at the bottom.
The now defunct border crossing. The last time I had to show my passport.  
Now to finish I will attempt to upload a video of the fountains in Wroclav. D


Youtube seems to have some pretty sophisticated listening software. They have somehow deduced that the somewhat distorted music used by the fountains is EMI copyright. Anyone know where this music comes from? It sounds like a sound track.

No comments: